First Trimester in Review

Saturday, March 3, 2012

I can't believe my first trimester is over! It really flew by! Here were the basics of my first 13 weeks...


Morning Sickness?: No! How did I get so lucky?! I can't believe I was so blessed to somehow avoid morning sickness. I have read that with twins, morning sickness is often worse than that of a singleton pregnancy. My mom, my grandmother and my mom's sister never had morning sickness, so maybe it is in the genes, Thanks mom :) I only threw up twice and that was related to my biggest symptom so far, which was...


HUNGER! I have never been so hungry! That was my only clue that there could be more than one baby inside me. I often woke up in the middle of the night, so hungry that I had to come downstairs and have a bowel of cereal or a granola bar. I ate a lot my first trimester, just trying to listen to my body. There are two babies in there that need me to eat lots, and I definitely did! I would often feel nauseous if there was not enough food in my belly at any point in the day.


Weight gain: I often feel overwhelmed at the unbelievable weight gain that is expected with twins. I am reading a book called "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads" by Dr.Luke and they recommend 1,000 extra calories a day for twins. This sounds fun, but it is hard to get the extra 1,000 in, especially in a healthy way.  I have had some fun though, having some extra calories to play with! Weight gain is also very important for preventing preterm labor which is one of the biggest complications with twin pregnancy. 24 lbs by 24 weeks is the most important, as it is most important to gain weight earlier in the pregnancy than later. I also rejoice that I was able to loose 35 lbs before becoming pregnant and totally changing my eating habits, this has given me a much healthier start to carrying these two sweet ones.


Fatigue: I was absolutely exhausted every day. I could definitely tell I had two babies and two placentas forming with in me, as I had to to take a nap almost everyday. I could also tell I wasn't myself as we ate out almost every night of the first trimester, which is very out of the norm for us. I just couldn't find the energy to cook!


Emotions: I have been amazed at how emotionally stable I have been! I normally become very moody with monthly hormone swings, so I was fearing pregnancy would bring out the worst in me. But I have been surprisingly joyful and happy even despite my exhaustion. 
I felt like this pregnancy has been such a miracle so I definitely had some normal fears of miscarriage early on. I loved that God used this to make me fully rely on him. At the end of the day, I was doing everything I could do to take care of myself and my babies, so I knew the rest was up to the Lord, and trusting in him is a beautiful place to be. Once I found out we were having twins, I honestly I had so much else to think about, that miscarriage was the last thing on my mind!


I feel so blessed to have had such a smooth pregnancy and we give God all the glory for his goodness and abundant blessings!

1 comment:

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger